Below is a summary of the previous week's security news which is most relevant to IT Directors.
- Google announced that it will not patch Android versions 4.3 and earlier due to the complexity of the related patching process. (Reference)
- This could leave about 930 million Android phones unpatched and vulnerable.
- Upshot: A relilable and robust MDM (Mobile Device Management) solution and BYOD policy will help businesses mitigate the related risk.
- Security professionals across many industries are up in arms in response to President Obama's proposed broad laws to curb cybercrime.(Reference)
- This is expected to open up risks to white hats and pen testers as well as normal internet users and not be effective against malicious hackers (black hats).
- Upshot: EQ will continue to keep up with this topic to adjust our security practice as laws and regulations change.
- Over 90 percent of data breaches in the first half of 2014 could have been prevented if businesses rethought their risk cyberstrategies, according to the Online Trust Alliance. (Reference)
- According to enterprise data security provider Vormetric, 93 percent of US corporations are vulnerable to threats from the inside.
- Upshot: A security assessment will go a long way in order to help address the most severe security risks within a company.
Author: Todd Bey
Equilibrium IT Solutions, Inc.