It looks like with the new VMware Horizon 6 announcement offering, VMware is working with Microsoft to offer features tightly integrated with Microsoft Remote Desktop Services. This will allow VMware Horizon 6 to offer published application delivery. While VMware’s offering has a lot of work to do with features that make XenApp still the superior product, VMware could quickly become a tough competitor in a space that Citrix has dominated in.
Citrix XenApp 7.5 Pros:
- Over 20 years in this space
- Continuous Innovation with all of XenApp predecessors: WinFrame, MetaFrame, and Presentation Server
- Considered the standard for Enterprise Application Virtualization
VMware Horizon 6 Pros:
- Microsoft's involvement in VMware's published application delivery
- VMware is the hypervisor of choice for Enterprise Virtualization
- Citrix clients will have a tough time migrating from XenApp 6.5 to 7.5 while Horizon 6 installs on top of XenApp, gathers what it needs and removes XenApp
It’s nice to see some competition here and it will likely be a few years, but it can only make Application Virtualization better. Can’t wait to see what happens!